Reply To: Lectures made public

Latest news Forums Distance Education Lectures made public Reply To: Lectures made public

Tom Boogaart
Participant
  • Department: History
  • Faculty: Arts

“I have a couple questions about who owns our online lectures”

This would depend on your lecture. Your lectures may be your intellectual property but also contain copy righted material. You are correct that the University is going to crack down on copy righted material in the very near future. As you mentioned Carleton University, I will direct you to their guideline for images.

If you post a picture of Dachau belonging to Getty on a public forum you would most certainly be breaking copy right law.

“if we have the (legal?) right to share them.”

Like Emilie I am not a lawyer, but if you read the Carleton document posting copyrighted images on youtube would not be fair dealing.

“For example, I am considering posting my online lessons on Youtube (or another public site) so I can easily direct my students from both Uottawa and Carleton to the videos. I’m wondering if there will be any consequence for me doing this? I know they would prefer we use their own hosting services, but it is required?”

You are not required to use Brightspace or any particular technology platform. This is covered under academic freedom.

On a related note, is there any risk that if i use only Brightspace, the university could use my video lectures/lessons in the future, for courses they are not paying me for? Thanks for any clarification!

No they would not be able to use your intellectual property without purchasing them. Some online courses were developed under a contract, but the course designer was paid for transfer of ownership.