Course Resources

Latest news Forums Your Contract and Your Rights Course Resources

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    sam alvaro
    Participant

All universities are teaching online right now and many of our sister institutions are providing both extra pay and resources for those teaching online. For example, some southern Ontario Universities are paying their part-time professors $1000 extra per class to help adjust to the new normal, and they are also providing computers, headphones, paper to print out documents, among other things to facilitate quality and dynamic lectures in their classes.  I would like to know what APTPUO is doing to help us go online and sustain the process during the spring term. If the University at Hogs Back can send a colleague a laptop by courier, why cannot a medical-doctoral school of our stature? 

nroy065
    • Department: Linguistics
    • Faculty: Arts

Hello Sam,

Thank you for your participation in the forum,

APTPUO is currently negotiating a letter of understanding with the employer for the Spring/Summer term. I invite you to consult the previous letters of understanding for the Winter term provided on the “COVID-19 INFORMATION” page of the website.

In the meantime, for any technological items or services you require, please contact your department.

Best regards,

Natasha Roy

Tom Boogaart
    Participant
    • Department: History
    • Faculty: Arts

Hi Sam,

Your concern is a legitimate one. To expand upon it briefly, teaching from a distance imposes multiple challenges for professors. As precarious workers, barriers to teaching are amplified. The University of Ottawa operates on a class system so that APUO has right to a university furnished computer, copy machine and all sorts of AV equipment. At the recent Faculty of Arts town hall the rector said plainly that no professor should be barred from practicing their craft. He also said that professors needing equipment to teach should contact their chair. It could be that he was thinking about APUO, but if I were you I would use that language to petition your chair along with a short note about what equipment and software you need and how you will use it to benefit students.

Hopefully the chair will respond to a reasonable request. If they do not, please forward their email to info@aptpuo.ca. The association’s ability to intervene is limited to the collective agreement. In the past, moral and common sense arguments have not always prevailed.

VP Ext
    Keymaster

Hi Sam,

I wanted to post an update with some details on our latest LOU for the spring/summer session. It has provisions to help offset the cost of the move to distance education:

“For those who are using Contact North’s Adobe Connect for this term and who did not receive compensation for this purpose during the Winter 2020 term, they are entitled to a lump sum payment of $71.94.
    A compensation of $500 will be paid to members who have taught in the Spring-Summer 2020 term.
    Upon presentation of detailed invoices and proof of payment, you may claim up to a maximum of $500 for technology equipment purchases in support of their e-learning or distance education activities. Please submit any claim at RT-ACAD-LR@uottawa.ca and CC the Association at info@aptpuo.ca.

For more information, you can read the Letter of Understanding here.

Sol,
    ÉP

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.