Lectures made public

Latest news Forums Distance Education Lectures made public

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Pkmiec
    Participant
    • Department: History/Sociology
    • Faculty: Arts/Social Science

Hi! I have a couple questions about who owns our online lectures and if we have the (legal?) right to share them. For example, I am considering posting my online lessons on Youtube (or another public site) so I can easily direct my students from both Uottawa and Carleton to the videos. I’m wondering if there will be any consequence for me doing this? I know they would prefer we use their own hosting services, but it is required? On a related note, is there any risk that if i use only Brightspace, the university could use my video lectures/lessons in the future, for courses they are not paying me for? Thanks for any clarification!

• This topic was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by Pkmiec.
    VP Ext
    Keymaster

Good Afternoon!

In my opinion, I don’t believe there would be a consequence in posting your lecture materials to YouTube for class viewing except for a clear way for you to retain your intellectual property by making videos private or deleting them after date X.

In fact, I would argue that with YouTube you retain your intellectual property rights more so than if you post the content on Brightspace. At present, the question of intellectual property for distance education is very much unsettled for our members. There is no stated firm position or direction from the employer, save for the acknowledgement that there is a problem created by the distance education shift. Since there is no letter of understanding about intellectual property in the context of COVID, it is logically possible that any content posted to Brightspace could be re-used again in the future without paying you more money for it.

For more info on the IP rights in our collective agreement, check out article 10.14 here: https://aptpuo.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/fullagreement2018-2021-to-be-signed.pdf

You are not required to format your distance education course in any specific way or using any specific platform. Part-time professors have the academic freedom to decide what content delivery method works best for them.

Caveat: I am not a lawyer, so all of the above is essentially my humble opinion. For a more informed opinion, you may want to write to jsdaoust(a)aptpuo.ca

If anyone else wants to chime in / has more info to add, please join the convo!

Tom Boogaart
    Participant
    • Department: History
    • Faculty: Arts

“I have a couple questions about who owns our online lectures”

This would depend on your lecture. Your lectures may be your intellectual property but also contain copy righted material. You are correct that the University is going to crack down on copy righted material in the very near future. As you mentioned Carleton University, I will direct you to their guideline for images.

If you post a picture of Dachau belonging to Getty on a public forum you would most certainly be breaking copy right law.

“if we have the (legal?) right to share them.”

Like Emilie I am not a lawyer, but if you read the Carleton document posting copyrighted images on youtube would not be fair dealing.

“For example, I am considering posting my online lessons on Youtube (or another public site) so I can easily direct my students from both Uottawa and Carleton to the videos. I’m wondering if there will be any consequence for me doing this? I know they would prefer we use their own hosting services, but it is required?”

You are not required to use Brightspace or any particular technology platform. This is covered under academic freedom.

On a related note, is there any risk that if i use only Brightspace, the university could use my video lectures/lessons in the future, for courses they are not paying me for? Thanks for any clarification!

No they would not be able to use your intellectual property without purchasing them. Some online courses were developed under a contract, but the course designer was paid for transfer of ownership.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.